The Prime Minister Narendra Modi who keeps on coming up with new reforms and ideas has now on 28th December, Monday launched the ambitious National Common Mobility Card which will be known as the NCMC. This card will be for the service for the Metro’s in Delhi and for the Airport Express Line. This latest inauguration falls under the act of the Prime Minister’s new initiative which is named as the ‘One Nation One Card’. The NCMC card can also be used at all the transit locations, this will help to make all new metro and the transit payments along with the exchange and making use of the information with the help of just one single card.
The idea of the NCMC card for the benefit of the people was first given by the Nandan Nilekani committee which was set up by the Reserve Bank of India – the RBI. The committee that was set up was a five-member committee and that was under Nilekani, who was the former chairperson of the UIAI which is known as the Unique Identification Authority of India, it has also proposed a host of different measures. It includes all the payments by the government to the citizen of the country through the digital mode and hence helping to reduce the number of cash transactions that happens in the country.
Here’s what you need to know about NCMC:
1. The pass will allow the passengers who has RuPay debit card and which should be issued in the last 18 months by the main 23 banks like SBI, Canara Bank, Punjab National Bank etc, to be swiped for the travel in the Metro. A DMRC spokesperson said that this facility will become available on the entire Delhi Metro network for all the travellers by the year 2022.
2. The NCMC pass is also an automatic fare collection system. This initiative will turn the smartphones into an inter-operable transport card. The commuters can use the transport card and can eventually help them to pay for the Metro, bus and suburban railways services.
3. This service will be covering a distance of entire 400km stretch of the Delhi Metro.
4. This will also allow the passengers and the travellers to entry and exit from the Metro stations only with the use of their smartphones. This procedure and method is known as the AFC which is the automatic fare collection system. In the Delhi Metro Phase-IV project that is coming up, the AFC system will also fully accept the NCMC. This can also be made use of in any city across the country.
5. In order to make the AFC compliant making the gates to implement this technology for all the metro stations, the government has engaged and took the help of the Bharat Electronics Limited. With time all Metro stations will be having the AFC gates fitted in them.
6. As it was suggested by the Nilekani committee , the NCMC should have two kinds of instruments. One of it is a regular debit card that the travellers can use at an ATM and also a local wallet, that can be used for the contactless payments. This will help to not have the need to go back to the server or additional authentication.
7. Banks which are given the authority by the department of financial services have also been asked to make their debit cards NCMC compliant, so that they can make sure about the availability of their service.