You must have heard of the term, Kaffir lime. It is scientifically known as Citrus Hystrix. It is widely cultivated, in Southeast Asian countries including India. Most Bengali and South Indian cuisines use this wonder fruit. You can benefit from the fruits flesh, peels and the leaves as well. The lime has a lot of utilisation in flavouring soups, gravies and salads. It also treats various ailments. Kaffir limes look dark green in colour, when raw. After they ripen, they turn yellow. The fruit has a wrinkly appearance. Thus, it looks quite different from normal limes.
If you happen to come across this lime, you will find the leaves as dark green and glossy. Most chefs crush the leaves and use them to flavour the fish and curries. The lime produces very little juice and its skin is mostly grated and used.
Nutritional Benefits Of The Kaffir Lime
If you happen to go through the nutritional benefits of Kaffir lime, you will come across its main constituents as limonene, beta-pinene, and sabinene. The leaves contain citronella. There are various phenolic compounds and anti-oxidants in the rind and the leaves. Kaffir lime is highly nutritious. It contains Vitamin C, fibre, calcium, folate, vitamin B6, magnesium, riboflavin, and phosphorus.
The Health Benefits Decoded
The health benefits of Kaffir lime are immense. You should read about the benefits and incorporate them into your lifestyle. The various health benefits of Kaffir lime are:
- It protects the heart. Kaffir lime also contains naringenin and hesperidin. They are flavonoids. Moreover, the lime also contains antioxidants that have a strong effect on the heart health. It also saves the heart from free radicals.
- It is anti-carcinogenic. Few organic compounds are found in Kaffir lime, that includes phytol and lupeol. It prevents the multiplication of carcinogenic cells. It also prevents the onset. Kaffir lime has been found to be beneficial in the treatment of colon cancer, cervical cancer, and blood cancer.
- Kaffir Lime relieves cough. You can use it to loosen the phlegm. It also acts against inflammation. Coumarin is a compound that is found in the peel of the fruit. You can relieve cough by eating Kaffir lime.
- It is also good for oral hygiene. It contains compounds that act against streptococcus bacteria. It can prevent tooth decay. Kaffir lime prevents the layer of biofilm on the teeth.
- Kaffir lime also boosts immunity. There are flavonoids, phenolic acids, carotenoids, and alkaloids that can fight against germs. It helps to fight against various diseases.
- The flavonoids and other compounds present in Kaffir lime, also prevent toxicity in the liver. You can have plenty of them, to fight against liver damage.
- Kaffir lime juice also acts as anti-bactericidal agents. It has the ability to kill various kinds of bacteria.
With so many benefits, Kaffir lime surely fits the bill as a wonder food today. You can have them, as garnishing and also use the juices with other fruit juices.